Monday 9/22/08 -
On the road again. This time to Iquitos to work with Albert and Jeremy. A lot has been going on there since my last visit in 2004. It'll be great to see it all first hand.
The morning was spent doing last minute packing and cleaning the rooms we used at ICK. The time in Lima has been good. We made a lot of new friends that we'll miss. From all the hugs and well wishes, I think they will miss us too.
We arrived at the airport around 5pm to pickup our boarding passes and check our bags. Because of a misunderstanding on my part I had to pay a hefty excess baggage fine. Since I had save a good amount on the tickets, I didn't feel to bad. Once I got to Iquitos, Albert explained what I did wrong. Lesson learned. Because this was an evening flight, we got to briefly see the city lights before climbing into the clouds. Another good flight for Michal. She's enjoying flying now. It may be difficult to get her to consider a road trip after this. :) Landing in Iquitos was another experience for both of the Girls. The airfield is rather small - no modern terminal buildings here in the jungle. Once the plane landed, we walked from it to the terminal building. The luggage was the only thing that had transportation. :) Albert was there to meet us. We loaded our bags into a hired taxi and head for town where Albert and Jeremy share a house. This 2-storey house has enough rooms to house 12-16 member teams if all the rooms were cleared out. For now, a couple of rooms are setup to be used, and then there's the living room area. The Girls and I use two rooms at the rear of the house on the first floor and share a bathroom. It's quite comfortable, though we are sleeping on air mattresses. Mine is holding up. The bathroom is spacious and fairly modern. Plenty of cool running water - this close to the equator, you don't need hot water. It takes some getting used to, but I look forward to a cool shower everyday.
Tuesday 9/23/08 -
Albert and Jeremy are into their usual busy routines, and that's good because I'm not here to be treated as a guest. The Girls and I put our housesitting skills to use and found our way around the house, mainly the kitchen. Ryan and Michal got started with school work while I did some journaling. About mid-morning Jeremy came downstairs and fixed breakfast for all of us. Afterward he took us to a grocery store where I bought a few supplies. Albert came in later and took us out to lunch, and showed us around the Plaza de Armas. It's kind of the "main street". He also took us to another grocery store where I was able to find more stuff. Oddly every store was out of spaghetti sauce. Wonder what that was about. Iquitos does not boast the luxury of stores like Wongs or Plaza Vea (grocery stores in Lima), so I have to tackle the challenge of shopping again. But my experience in Lima has prepared me and I have overcome the challenge quickly. The temptation is to eat out a lot because that's what the guys do. They have a nicely equipped kitchen, but, from my observations, only use it to cook eggs in the morning and cool their water and juices. What can I say, they're guys. :)
Later, after siesta, we went out again, this time for dinner and a movie. Dinner was good, the movie was a dud. We all had the godly character to walk out. Albert stopped by a store that he frequents and ordered lunches we would take with us on the trip up the river on Thursday. Juanas - it's a meal of chicken and rice wrapped in banana leaves. Afterward we returned to the house and called it a night.
Thursday 9/25/2008 -
Thursday is ministry at Panguana. It's a river community where a Calvary Chapel has been established. We (Albert, Javier & Katrina, Juan-Carlos, Ryan, Michal, and myself) left the house around 7:30am to catch the boat in Belen, a very poor area on the river where we boarded the boat for the 3 hrs ride and 40 minute walk to Panguana. Being some of the first onboard, we were able to pick out good spots for our hammocks. Ryan and Michal spent some time on the roof of the boat enjoying the breeze and sights along the river. Later, they started a rousing game of Uno with Javier, Katrina, and some unsuspecting girl about Michal's age that lasted until we reached the dock at Panguana. The walk from the dock was along cement sidewalks, a dirt trail, 2 covered bridges, and a wood plank walkway that bridged a swamp area. It was so neat to be back on the river.
Ministry at Panguana involves children's ministry and an evening service. Before and after children's ministry work was done on the building (florescent lights installed).
The trip back to the boat dock was in the dark (pitch black dark). We started out about 9:30pm The only visible lights were from homes set far back from the trail. Flashlights were a necessity. We had 3, and one died. :) During the trek we walked single file with Albert in the lead, and Javier taking up the rear. While crossing the plank walkway, Michal fell through one of the gaps in the planks. Okay, it was just her leg. She's gained enough weight here that she couldn't fall through. :) At the boat dock we had about a 2 hr wait for the boat, another 3 hr boat ride (this time packed in with produce and chickens as well as people), then about a 20 minute ride back to the house. It was about 3am. :( :)
Friday 9/26/2008
RECOVERY. I'm not as young as I used to be, but I was first up at 8:30 (not sure what I was thinking), but I let the Girls sleep 'til 10am or so. I was never more thankful that we had absolutely nothing to do, because it wouldn't have gotten done. :)
Javier & Katrina brought their family over for dinner around 4pm. Since the last time I saw them in 2004 there has been an addition to their family. His name is Jason and he's 2 yrs old. The older kids are 17 yr old son Eles, 14 hr old daughter Anna, and 5 yr old Gina. I met them all for the first time in 2004. Albert and Javier are friends. Javier pastors a Baptist church in Iquitos, and from time to time helps Albert with some ministry on the river. He and his family are wonderful people.
For dinner we had pizza delivered from "Pizza Hot" (not associated with Pizza Hut). The don't deliver in 30 minutes, but it was good! After dinner we watched "The Chronicles of Narnia" in Spanish with English subtitles - very interesting. :)
Saturday 9/27/2008
Still recouping from the river trip. We all did only what was necessary.
The Girls and I had a "Spa Moment" and shaved our legs together. It was so funny. I think there are pictures somewhere.
Ryan went to Youth Group at CC El Terminal in the evening. She and Michal don't speak any Spanish, but they get a lot of attention. The kids have been very nice to them.
That wraps up week4.
Keep us in your prayers.
In His will,
Marilyn,
Ryan & Michal